Sunday, January 1, 2012

Yes Jordon, All of Heavenly Father's Children Toot Through Their Bums!

Oh I LOVE teaching the Sunbeams. A Sunbeam is a cute little 3 turning 4 year old child who comes to church. I get to teach them in our ward. Today I started teaching the brand new Sunbeams. This is their first taste of "big kid Primary." That means that instead of playing with toys and having a snack, they had to sit in a room full of lots of other kids and teachers for about an hour for singing time and sharing time. Finally they got to get up and go to another room! We went to our little room and I realized that I didn't have any crayons so Jordon's mom, who was helping me today, jumped up and ran to the library to get some. While she was gone, I looked at the little kids in my class. The two little boys, Jack and Jordon, looked scared to death! Annie was ok and Elise was on my lap missing her mommy and daddy. I asked them if they would sing "I am a Child of God," with me. Our lesson today was about being children of God, so that was a perfect song to start with! Annie was the only one who was singing with me. Jack and Jordon just stared, like scared little kittens! Suddenly, Jack yelled, "TOOT!" We all got a little distracted but tried to just ignore it and go on. So, like any kid who wants attention and didn't get it the first time, he tried again, "TOOT!!!!!" This time the kids couldn't hold in the laughter. They started to giggle. I tried not to giggle. But then, sweet little Jordon piped up with his information about "toots", "I toot through my bum!" I had to giggle. But had to maintain some dignity, so I smiled and said, "You do? Yes, all of Heavenly Father's children toot through their bums! That's the way He made us!" (His mom came back in right after this and he was still enjoying his silly "toot" talk so she asked him not to talk that way anymore.)


We talked about being Children of God, who God is, what He is like and how He wants us to be like Him. I have a feeling though, that by the time the kids left the room, they won't remember anything about what the lesson was. Hopefully though, since the "toot talk" was at the start of class, that won't be the only thing they remember about the day!

I think I have some darling kids this year! I think I have some kids who are pretty silly! I'm excited for the stories I'll have from them! I'm so grateful for our wise Heavenly Father who thought of everything when He created us! Even for a way for our "toots" to escape!

No comments: