Friday, October 8, 2010

The Greater Gift

When I graduated from high school I told my parents that I wanted an electric typewriter as a gift. To me it made perfect sense. I loved typing, I was going to college and would need a typewriter to type my papers and it was just all around practical and something I really wanted. My parents told me that they already had something for me and that they couldn't afford an electric typewriter to give me. I was so upset. Especially when they gave my sister one as a graduation gift when she graduated from college! Instead of a typewriter they gave me a cedar chest. I didn't want a piece of furniture! What was I going to do with that? I couldn't even take it to college with me. It didn't make any sense to me at all.

That was over 20 years ago and as my children were going through some of the treasures in my "treasure chest" I remembered how upset I was then, yet how grateful for it I am now. My parents had a better view of what I would need. They knew I'd have open access to a typewriter whenever I'd need one at college. They also knew that it would eventually break and be worthless. The also knew the value of a nice cedar chest. They knew it would be something that would last. Something that I could use. Something that would be a treasure to me later on. They knew how to give me a gift that even though I couldn't see it at the time, would be a gift that would benefit me more in the long run.

As I've pondered on this, it hit me that Heavenly Father is much the same as my mom and dad. He has a broader view of my life and my needs. Sometimes I want something but I don't get it. Instead He sends another blessing. Sometimes in my limited view I don't see it as a blessing until later. I'm so grateful He knows me and loves me. I'm so thankful He will help me be more like Him. I love my Heavenly Father.

No comments: