
Emily started telling me a few weeks ago that she couldn't see, everything was blurry. At first I believed her and thought that not being able to see very well would explain why she hates reading. She really struggles with that and sometimes I just wasn't understanding why she didn't remember what a word said or which letter was on the page. BUT then she started really playing it up. "Mom? Mom? Where are you?" she'd ask while staring forward and waving her hands around. "I can't see you!" I was right next to her. She had her little friend Macee guiding her around the house because she was practically blind! But as soon as I'd get too busy to work on homework with her she seeemed ok. She'd ask several times a day if I had called to get her an appointment with the eye doctor. I really was just brushing her off. Finally, one night when we were reading scriptures she was really struggling so I went and got my old glasses from high school and put them on her. She could read! I called the doctor the next day. It was hard to determin at first how well she really could or couldn't see so he dialated her eyes. While we were waiting for the dialation to work we went out and looked at glasses. She tried on several pair but these where her favorite! She was looking at herself in the mirror and said, "Mom! Look! I'm getting freckles!" I just looked at her and said, "I know honey, you've had freckles for a long time." She didn't know! She hadn't been able to see them before! She didn't have her real glasses yet, but having her eyes dialated seemed to help her see better.


Once her eyes were all dialated we went back in and he had her read the chart again. She still struggled so he adjusted the lenses. She needed glasses! The doctor said that for someone with good eyesight it takes about a stage 2 effort to read a book. For her it was taking a 5! No wonder she hates reading! It's a lot of work for her to try to focus enough to see well enough to read. He told us that with the new glasses she'd be a new kid and be able to see a new world! He also warned us that it would take some time for her to adjust to being able to see without having to work so hard. We ordered the glasses and got to pick the up on tues. She kind of freaked after we left the store. she said that she didn't want to wear the glasses. "They keep getting dirty." "I liked them better in the store!" "I hate these!" "They don't even help!" When we were doing homework she was reading pretty well but was freaking out about the glasses. I finally told her that she could read one story with them and one without and let her pick which she did first. She took the glasses right off and started trying to read. She struggled through a couple words, then held the glasses up to the page to read a few more words. After about 2 sentances she had them back on and didn't say anything more about it. She is still adjusting. She told me she didn't want to wear her glasses today for her program because only 2 other boys in her class wear glasses. We'll see if she ends up wearing them or not. She did say she will wear them while she does her school work though. I personally think she looks beautiful with them!
1 comment:
Em's looks SOOO cute in glasses..I want to come over to see her in them! :)
Post a Comment