Monday, January 17, 2011

My Birthday!!!

On my birthday I was meeting Mom and my sisters at Chili's for lunch at 11:30. Tammy headed it up while we were cleaning up on Christmas eve. Gaylene wasn't there so we told Gary to tell her. I got to Chili's a couple min's late but not too bad and nobody was there. No big deal- this is our family! (I had already gotten a text from Tammy and Shauna telling me they wouldn't be able to make it too) Well, as time passed and still nobody showed up, I called Mom and asked if she was coming. She said she thought it was at 1:30- not 11:30 but jumped in the car and came over. Becky got there too- at about 11:50. Chris needed her to help him with something so she was late. We called Barbra and she said that she had written down 1:00 thinking she'd be there on time if she did that. Apparently she made a mistake though and forgot the second 1. She apparently told Shauna and Mom the time so they both heard it wrong. That's why they didn't come. We tried to call Gaylene but she didn't answer so Grandma left a message. I talked to her later and found out that she was talking to Gary when we called and when he heard it was us calling he said, "OH YEAH!!! I was supposed to tell you they were meeting for lunch at 11:30! I forgot!" Gaylene wasn't dressed yet so she didn't make it.
This is quite the sad sob story isn't it! However, as i was sitting in sacrament meeting on Sunday after this, the Spirit used it to teach me a few valuable lessons.
1. People make mistakes when they are recording things. This is one reason why for so long the true church wasn't on the earth. People were trying to worship off memory and the teachings of men. They didn't have the Spirit to guide them and teach them the truth. When Joseph Smith was translating the plates he did it through the Spirit. This is why the Book of Mormon is the most correct book of any we have on earth. I am so grateful he was willing to work hard even amid all the persecution so we can have the Book of Mormon, I know it is true and will help us grow closer to Christ than any other book. We believe the bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. We also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
2. Missionary work is so important! Gaylene missed the lunch because she didn't have the chance to hear first hand the plans for the lunch. It was Gary's job, which he accepted, to tell her about it. He forgot. How many people are relying on us to tell them about the gospel? How many will miss the opportunity to "feast on the word" with us if we don't do our part and get the message to them? We all need to open our mouths! I'm so excited I got to be a full time missionary. I however, can't be a slacker just because I'm just a mom now. I need to make sure I'm sharing the gospel now too!
3. Forgive! The Comfortor will help us if we let him!
4. Families are forever! We were able to gather later for the sibbling party and it was so fun!

5. Prophets are so important! Thanks to our current prophet and his continuing revelation and guidance, we don't have to rely on stories handed down from generation to generation to help us know about our Heavenly Father and His will for us. Because of a prophet we also know God's plans and will for us in our day with our challenges.
I'm so grateful for Joseph Smith! I'm so grateful he accepted the call to re-establish the church for our dispensation! I am so grateful for the atonement!

No comments: