Sat. morning my wonderful mother-in-law called and asked if I wanted to be there with them. I was so grateful. I count this as a "tender mercy" from a Heavenly Father who wanted me to be there but knew I needed some help getting there. Knowing I wouldn't be alone gave me more desire to go. I got dressed and went up to the church. On the way up I passed the house behind my parents and noticed two police cars in front and two police men standing in front of the door. I was tempted to stop to see what was going on but didn't feel it was my place to do so, so I went up to the church. I told Claudia right away what I saw. She hadn't heard anything. A little bit later it was announced that there was excess food so we were invited to get more. Megan took some home to Jim and I decided to take some to my dad. On the way out I saw some friends standing around with tears in their eyes. I asked what was going on and one turned to me and said, "They lost their little boy. He passed away early this morning." My heart sunk. They didn't have any idea how the little boy died.
I drove to my parent's house and noticed my friend in front of the neighbor's house so I ran in, dropped off the food and quickly told my dad what had happened. He was talking to my mom and she wanted more info (so did I). She is the Compassionate Service Leader in their ward but since she is in a care facility to recover from her surgery, she couldn't be there, but I could go in her place. I went over to the neighbor's and my friend's husband was now in front on the phone. He saw me coming and came over to meet me. (The mom is his niece) They didn't know what happened. Friday he was not feeling well. Mandy, the mom, took him to the doctor but was told it was just the flu or something minor. When they went in in the morning to check on him he was gone. He had been dead for at least 2-3 hours. What a heart break! I went in and told my dad and mom what I had found out. Then left to go back to the conference. I debated not going back. I was heart broken and just wanted to be with my own children and husband to just cling to them. I went to the conference anyway. I prayed for comfort, for the family and for myself. I longed for someone to talk to who would have some advice for me on how I could help. My friend Charli Fraughton walked in. She saw me and came over- climbing over about 4 women, to get to me in the middle of the row, and asked if she could sit by me. I knew she was an answer to this desire. She lost her son a couple years ago- he drowned at Bear Lake. He was almost 19. She was a great comfort to me. I'm so thankful she came to me, I count her as an answered prayer.
The conference started and the Stake Relief Society Pres. got up and welcomed us and introduced the theme. I found comfort at the theme, "Sweet is the Peace." I felt that our dear loving Heavenly Father knew as this conference was being planned what would happen so He got involved with the details. He knew there would be several people there who would be finding out about this sorrowful even and would need comfort. What a perfect topic for us to learn about. Sis. Sharon Eubank was the speaker. She's on the R.S. General board and did such a wonderful job. I'll go into more detail in my next post. Pres. Alder also bore testimony. Both really taught with the spirit and I felt so much comfort. I still felt helpless. But I knew the family was not alone. The songs were just what I needed-even though I couldn't sing them because I was crying. The musical number was beautiful and comforting (How Great Thou Art). The details were taken care of.
This experience to me was such a witness that our Heavenly Father is aware of what we will need, even before the events come to pass. God is in the details. I love Him and am so grateful He loves each of His children.
(They found out later that little 20 month old Ben had thrown up in the night and aspirated on it. That is how he died. I pray for the Comforter to be with this sweet family.)
Update: They found out that it wasn't from aspirating. They don't know what happened.
2 comments:
Just so you know, when I talked with Stana last night she said that they have determined that Bennett did not asperate. They still don’t know the cause of his death. Sad! The funeral was wonderful today! Strong parents. strong family!
Katie told me. I'm so sad about that. I hope they can figure out what happened. It makes me so sad. They are a wonderful family.
Post a Comment