Thursday, October 2, 2008

(This might make more sense if you start reading at the next section down first!)
At one time this was inhabbited by people. But many many years ago, this part of the island broke off and fell into the ocean. This cut off access to most of the areas. The cliff faces are full of indentations from the water running off them. It is pretty weird in some ways, to look at the flat face of the island and think about there being part of that island below us in the ocean.

Now, about this point, as the theme song to Gilligans Island goes, "the weather started getting rough..." our tiny catamaran was tossed. Well, the weather wasn't too rough. It wasn't rainy or anything, it was just windy and the waves were getting bigger and bigger. At first it was kind of a thrill.

There is a dirt road that does go into this beach. There are some ruins here from an old temple. The story here is that the Hawaiins believed that when a person died, their spirit would come here and climb to the top of the cliff then jump so that the spirit could enter into the spirit world. Our captain, Captain Jeff, said that in some of the valleys if we were to hike up, there are still some stone ruins from the building that people used to live in. There were on some of the beaches people who had taken their boats in and set up camp.

Now, as I mentioned above, the winds were getting pretty rough and the waves were getting pretty large and plentiful. I started to feel a bit green- and I'm not talking the environmentaly friendly kind of green. I was gettting sick. I took some bonine this morning at 4, but I should have taken another one like the lady said before we left to go. I went down to get a drink from inside the boat. Jamison stayed up on top. I handed him my camera (we had both) and struggled to get down. I got the drink and started back up. There was a bench at the back of the boat where we were told it was less bumpy. I sat down right there- I grabbed one of the "Aloha buckets" that they so kindly provided for people who find them selves feeling sick. One of the crew saw me and went and got me some ice to suck on and a cool, wet papertowel to stick on the back of my neck. I was soon joined by several other "green" people. I never did throw up, but most of the people around me did. One poor guy was in tears because he was so sick. Like I said, I didn't throw up, but being down there with about 1/2 the passengers, feeling sick, I feel like I was a part of a pretty elite club! There I met a man and his daughter (the brother of the guy who was crying) who was there with his brother, sister,daughter, and sis.-in-law to scatter his mother's ashes. She died in April and they were just able to get together to do this now. I met another lady who just got married yesterday. She met her husband online. There were about 15 of them there for the wedding. They'll have the reception in Oregon when they get home. Another lady was from Texas and doesn't know how to swim. It was quite the bonding time! But because I was trying to concentrate on anything besides being sick, I didn't get the next story as well so I'll let Jamison tell you the next part.

Along the base of this cliff was the playground of the Gods. However, the Gods could only come to earth during the night. One evening God's children were playing and the lost track of time. They realized that the sun was coming up so they began racing up the cliff face to go home. However the sun caught them out in the open and turned them all to stone. And the is what all the spires are on this cliff. They are the children of the Gods who got stuck on earth. Each spire is individually named for the children.
Thanks Jam! I was down below just hoping Jamison was taking some good pictures for me (the bench was outside, so there was plenty of air) He did! I'm so glad! I missed this cave so I'm glad he got it. There is a cave on the lower right side of the picture. There were severel caves along this stretech. I guess that many of the caves have not ceiling in them. The waves in the winter get so harsh that they have worn out the tops of the caves. Interesting huh!


No comments: