
We stopped at this lighthouse. I don't remember what it was called, I'll look it up later. It has a "clam shell lens" that would bend the light to make the beam brighter. It was built in 1927 and in that year saved the plan flying the first flight from the main land to the islands. The piolot over shot the island because he couldn't see it. He saw this light and was able to turn around and land. The clam shell & the whole light house has been replaced by an electric light that is just off to the side of it.

The land around the light house is a bird refuge. This is one of the birds there. It nest in the ground. There are 3 major kinds of birds who nest here. The albotrose, the red footed boobie, and another one. They each hunt durring different times of day. The red footed boobie is the only water bird who nests in a tree.

This was so cool. The waves would crash up against the wall of the cliff. It was fasinating to watch.

This is the other bird. It hunts for it's own food but it also will scare other birds into dropping it's food then it will swoop down and steal the food before it hits the water.
There were 2 of these floating around- just soaring. Jamison suddenly jumped and pulled us over. I guess it was dropping a bomb. I guess it thought my camera was some food that it wanted to steal- I didn't drop it though.
No comments:
Post a Comment