Saturday, January 9, 2010

Happy New Year!!!!!

I love starting a new year- and taking time to celebrate the closing year. 2009 was quite the year and 2010 has so much promise.

We got to party with Grandma and Grandpa Yardley and Meg and Rachel. Ashley went to a friend's house so she totally missed out! I was getting ready for the party and took a break to play on the computer. On facebook I saw a friend's post that another friend's basement had flooded and they needed lots of help. Another friend commented that they were meeting at 2:00. It was 2:40 so I called Ashley in and told her what was going on and what still needed to be done here at home to get ready for the party. I went over with her how to make a cheeseball then left her in charge. She did a great job - the cheeseball was very tasty!

I got to the friend's house and was so touched by how many people were there. The street was lined up with cars and people were walking up the street. I went in and discovered that the flood actually started upstairs in the corner master bathroom. They went out of town and apparently when he was turning down the heat thermostat bumped something and turned it off. It has been sooooooo cold and a pipe froze and burst. The water got into each of the bedrooms, through the hall, into the kitchen, down the stairs and soaked the basement. The basement ceiling was wet, the floors and walls were soaked so much stuff was lost. I went downstairs and had a hard time walking down the hall because there were so many people helping. Many young men and their advisors were there, several members of our ward were there. Mostly men. As we were there one sister brought doughnut and milk- even soy for the family who was there helping who is allergic to milk. Another sister stopped to tell them she was going to take in dinner. Several stopped to check in and said they'd come for the next shift since there were so many there then. It was so neat! I got to empty the stuff on the floor in their storage room. Some was just thrown away but much was savable. Her wedding dress was hanging in a plastic dress bag on the wall so I thought it was safe from the flood but felt prompted to check it. I picked up the bottom- which did reach the floor, and discovered a hole. Sure enough the dress was wet. I took it upstairs and we got it laid out so I could dry. Susan told me that it was dry and doing good. I'm glad I followed that prompting!

When I finished the storage room I came home and got ready for the party. Everyone was so good to help out. We had lots of treats and played games. We had some good laughs through out the night. Yardley's packed up their games and goodies (which were soooo good!) and went home about 11:00. I would have loved to call it a night then too but the kids were still playing and wanted to stay up until midnight. Ashley also was still at her party and I'd need to go get her picked up. I'm excited for the new year!

No comments: