Sunday, January 17, 2010

This week has been a fun week. Last sunday (Jan 10) we celebrated Grandpa Yardley's birthday. We had dinner over here. I even tried to get fancy (somewhat). I got out some table clothes- they didn't fit really but I got points for trying. The kids drew pictures of things they liked to do with Grandpa on a long piece of paper that we used as a table runner. We had hamburgers with grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, fry or hickory sauce, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes all the great stuff! We had potato salad, homemade macaroni and cheese, & veggies. Great meal. After dinner Grandpa got to open his presents. He got a new shirt, a membership to the Rec. Center, a flash drive, and a photo book of Cousin Camp. We had german chocolate cake and cup cakes for dessert along with cherry chip, chocolate, and vanilla ice cream. We had so much fun playing as a family. I know I've said this every time we've gotten together as a family but, I love being with my family. It is so fun to strengthen relations and build testimony too of family.

Tues. was actually Grandpa's birthday but it worked better for everyone to get together on Sunday. Tuesday was a day of new for me. I started by not following my usually morning routine. I got up, prayed and read, but instead of exercising, I put on my exercise clothes with my pj's over them then just did stuff around the house. I got stew going for dinner and clean up a bit. After the kids got out the door I went off to an exercise class- not something I do -- ever. It's called Zumba. I've heard a little about it but have never done it. I LOVED IT!!! It is a latin rhythm high energy class. My friend who goes to a Zumba class in her town said, "I find it very liberating to shake all the flabby/fatty parts of my body and not care." I agree! I had so much fun and felt like I had a great work out!

After that I came home and showered and got ready for school- the first day of a new semester! I have 2 classes that I go to. I only have to go in once a week, tuesdays, from 2-7:05. The first class is called Creativity and Cognition. It is about how to assess not only what the kids are learning (the cognition) but how they are learning (metacognition). The professor seems wonderful. He has students how have taken other classes from him. They loved him and he seemed too have enjoyed them too. He remembered them- even one lady who took a class a couple years ago. He also brings cookies on days of the quizes. The other class is called Family Belief Systems. it was an interesting class. I didn't know what to expect and to be honest I still am not completely sure, but it seems interesting. The professor came in and turned so we could only see half of his face. He didn't turn towards us for a little bit and when he did the left side of his face was drooping. He explained that over the break he first had shingles then after that cleared up he got hit with Bell's palsy. As he went through telling us about what the left side of his head was going through, my cheeks started tingling. Today (Sunday) they still are a little tingly but it is the first day my right cheek hasn't been twitching. It is kind of funny. Another funny thing about it is that the point of the class is talking about how our beliefs and thoughts can affect out action and have physical results. I know Bell's isn't contagious- I guess I'm just extra empathetic! Crazy! I'm excited about my classes. I'm also a TA for Carrie Sillito, my professor for my Family Science class from the summer. That was a great class and I'm excited to get to work with Prof. Sillito.

No comments: