I'm very sleepy but wanted to make a note of what is happening and how I'm feeling about it. Yesterday there was a HUGE earthquake in Chile. It measured 8.8! That is the third largest every recorded! Since the quake there have been after shocks every hour. They have had 50 over 5! They even had one that measured the same as the huge one that has devistated Haiti. Chile is more modern so there wasn't as much damage but there is still so much. The earthquake in Haiti affected me. It made me sad and wish there was something I could do. Hearing the quake in Chile hit me in a different way. My niece Janell is supposed to fly out on Monday to start her mission work in Chile, Concepcion. That is where the epicenter was. My first emotion and still the overwhelming emotion is of gratitude. I am sooooooooo grateful that her departure date was March 1, not Feb 22! I am so grateful that she has had time to prepare to go to preach the gospel. We are pretty sure she will not be flying out on Monday. But when will she go? Will it be safe? Will she spend the first while primarily doing humanitarian work? I love Janell. I know that she will make the best of whatever she gets. It will probably stress her out. She'll do good though. I worry about the people who Jamison worked with and taught when he served there.
The quake has cause tsunamis that have hit Japan and threatened Hawaii and all the area around there. The entire Pacific Ocean is on alert. The quake was felt all the way to Brazil. Japan was hit with a pretty strong quake of their own- probably in connection to the one in Chile. Are the people Mom and Dad worked with safe? Josh's friend Liz is there teaching english. Is she ok.
My mind is full of concern and worry. But overwhelming gratitude. I'm so grateful for Heavenly Father planning these missionaries departure date for the week after the quake hit.
No comments:
Post a Comment