Today was the day for most of the grades at school to have Valentine's Day Parties. I got to help out in Natalie's class. I did the craft. When I volunteered to do the craft, I didn't think about the fact that I had 6th grade BOYS to plan for. When I started planning for this craft, none of the cutesy stuff like, heart necklaces or friendship rings seemed fitted to the boys. I searched on sugardoodle.net which is a great resource for ideas and found these "sweet" ipods. It had this link to Family Fun magazine: http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts/rock-candy-675037/ to get the directions and the print outs for the playlist and controls disc. I got everything ready- cut everything but the playlists- I wanted them to take more time, and put it all except the wrap in a baggie to distribute to each of them. I used 2.5" squares instead of 4" round pieces of foil to wrap the "earplugs" and I used rolos because I didn't want to risk a peanut butter allergy issue. I also used double stick tape instead of glue. The first group I got was 6 hyper boys. I was a bit worried but after I threatened them with giving them the girly papers, they settled down. (I had cut out different colors including orange and blue so they'd be more appealing to the boys. The girls actually were drawn to those patterns and colors too.) They were great. I walked them through each step and finished a tough early. I asked them if they knew the songs on the list and had them sing the ones they knew and as much as they knew. Most knew all the songs but only the part of the song that had the title in it. The one song not as many knew was "Happy Together". Then I had a girl group, a boy group and a girl group. They all did great and seemed excited about them. The most funny things came from the boys groups. Some of these were: "Back in the olden days ipods were fat like this." another boy followed-up with, "back in the old, olden days, ipods weren't even in their imaginations." "Oh yeah! They were those big box stereos that they carried on their shoulders!" Another referring to the double stick tape, "What is this stuff? two sided sticky tape? Cool! I love this! It's like the tape of the future!" This was followed by a discussion of why double stick tape is so much better than tape because they hate to use tape because it is messy and makes their fingers all gooey. These were BOYS saying this! A couple of the girls were pretty excited by the tape too. One boy in the second group stuck some double stick tape on the back of the ipod and I started to tell him that things were going to stick to it if he did that. He pressed it all the way down, picked-up the ipod and slapped it on his shirt! It stuck! Then he taped the ear buds to his ears. Over all I think it was a successful craft for even the 6th grade girls AND boys!* For the games they played valentines bingo, the limbo, a suck the smarties from one place to another and see who got the most in the limited time, and shape your name with shoelace licorice. The snack was chocolate fondue, and cookies that they could decorate.
Emily had her party too. They played "Don't Eat Cupid," decorated cookies, made cards, and got their faces painted.
Jamison has his party tomorrow. His box is AWESOME!
No comments:
Post a Comment