Saturday, February 20, 2010

Viewmont Tour: written by Ashley

Step 1: choose a tour
I choose tour 3. Tour 3 consisted of a lot of artsy things and medical anatomy. I want to be a vet when i grow up.
Step 2: go to viewmont with the rest of the ninth grade.;
step 3: meet tour guide.
step 4: tour viewmont for the next three hours being extremely bored.
step 5: get excited to go back to school so you actually do something
step 6: get back to school and realize just how un-boring the tour actually was in comparison.


So that was Ashley's version of the tour. Here's the way I saw it!
I got a call from my friend from a friend from the Lakeview ward who is in the PTA (or whatever it is called at jr. high) reminding me that I signed up to help with a 9th grade field trip. (I still have no recollection of that- good thing she called) and that there was a field trip coming that I could go on. It was on the 18th and we would be going to Viewmont to tour through the different "pathways" the students have to choose from before they can even register. It sounded kind of interesting so I arranged my schedule to go. I was told that parents needed to be to the jr. high by 7:45 so I had Grandma and Grandpa Yardley come over to get the other kids off to school. (I'm so grateful for them!) When I got there one of Ashley's friends told me that it got changed so we didn't need to be there until 8:30. I went to the counceling center and asked about it. There were a few other moms there too. We were all pretty lost! They told us that we didn't need to be there until 8:20 but since we were there we could just wear our little name sticker and go to class with our students. Ash had already abandoned me so I started finding my way to her class. She found me on my way and rescued me. She was with her friend Rachel D. Rachel saw me and said, "Oh Ashley! You brought your mommy to school today!" They joked about that for a min. We got to the class and it was locked so they lovingly sat me down on a bench and told me to "stay and be a good girl" then went skipping down the hall singing "A pirates life for me." I tried to be good and not embarrass her too bad. I think I did ok. Ms. Swallow came and took roll and then we watched a video about Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's. He had quite the hard life but was determined and became who/what he is today.

We went to Viewmont and got to go tour around the classes that would be included if she followed this pathway. There were some cool classes that sure weren't around when I was a kid! Like graphic design- on the computer, digital photography and media, and web design. And some classes that were around clear back then like different art classes. The difference is though that some of the art classes included using computer stuff to enhance the art. It was cool. We went to the medical anatomy class and that teacher was sure trying to sell that program. She was throwing out salaries they could make while in high school using the training they'd get in that program. It was very enticing. The problem however is that even students with more experience and more education aren't making the money she was quoting.
Ash has her registration form that she needs to fill out. It is due next week! I can't believe I have a high schooler! Crazy! It is exciting though to see the opportunities that are there for her. I'm glad I finally was able to go do something schooly with her!

- Just as a side note- I'm very grateful that she was respectful. There were some students who I wanted to go tell to shut-up! (excuse me for that "bad word" I should have said, "shut- u. p.") They were so obnoxious!

No comments: